Re: Is it possible to have an array in a table?

From: Ramon F Herrera <>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:39:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 22, 4:46 pm, John Hurley <> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 4:09 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
> snip
> > Bonus question:
> > I believe it is possible to save an arbitrary file (let's say an MS
> > Word or PDF document) in Oracle. I'd appreciate the details on that.
> > TIA,
> > -Ramon
> ... which also applies to your first question.

Thanks, John. That is indeed a helpful resource.

In reference to arrays (or VARRAYs) I have a question for you folks out there. According to the examples that I read, a VARRAY can be used when there is a small number of items. The example mentions a person/ organization with a variable number of phone numbers, of to 6.

What about a larger number of items? In that case, is it:

  • inefficient
  • inelegant
  • undesirable
  • not recommended

to use VARRAYs perhaps?

The characteristic that I value the most about arrays is the ability to iterate with an integer(s). Also important is the fact that if an item is in position 52, I can rely on it being there next time.

TIA, -Ramon Received on Sun Aug 23 2009 - 01:39:21 CDT

Original text of this message