Re: Does everyone hate DBConsole as much as me? (rant)

From: BicycleRepairman <engel.kevin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 06:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 18, 11:29 am, gs <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
> I don't rant often, but I have to vent. IMHO the dbconsole is a piece of
> crapware and I'm really pissed that they replaced the at-least-useable
> java based Enterprise Manager with it. It seems that I spend 1/2 my time
> getting the app running from whatever the latest ailment is, 1/4 my time
> navigating around trying to find what I want and very little time
> actually getting any use out of it. I've lost count how many times I've
> had to drop and recreate for various databases, and I'm tired of
> navigating along then getting connection error pages for seemingly no
> reason at all. I hate the one-database connectivity, and my last go with
> grid control got pushed aside after I fought with it for two days and
> had to abandon it because real work was falling by the wayside.
>
> I'd install the java client on each database, but they have crippled it
> badly and made it less useful. I'm ready to take a good look at a 3rd
> party app that will let me look at all my databases in a nice, fast,
> neat little front end. Taking a look at Embarcadero right now. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> </rant>

I agree that dbconsole is not a good direct replacement for java console, but while I could be effective using java console, there were a number of annoyances and bugs that I'm glad to be rid of. I find that dbconsole + jdeveloper + sqlplus gives me most of what I want... I can't recall the last time I yearned for the java console, at least. Received on Wed Aug 19 2009 - 08:16:53 CDT

Original text of this message