Re: Put Oracle 8i standby in managed recovery

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 06:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

On 14 aug, 13:09, "Fabrice" <emouc..._at_spaminfonietest.fr> wrote:
> (re) hello
>
> Sorry for this new question.
> I don't use Net 8 to transfer archived redologs from my production database
> to the standby.
> I don't want to block the base in case of network failure.
>
> So I copy by script,each hours, the archived redologs file from the
> production to the local destination directory of my standby (parameter
> STANDBY_ARCHIVE_DEST). And regurlaly I execute this script :
>
> set autorecovery on
> recover standby database
>
> Is there a way to realize a managed "recover standby" without use net8 to
> transfer the logs. So I would like that the recover is automatic when I copy
> a archived redo in the right place on the standby.
> It seems that the command "RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE" works only with
> a network transfer by net8.
>
> Thanks for your help.

No there is no way to realize a 'managed recover standby' without using Net8, and your concerns about Net8 are likely unjustified. Apart from that, Oracle 8i has been desupported a long time ago, and the Standby database feature has become much more robust in 9i (already desupported) and 10gR2.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 08:11:45 CDT

Original text of this message