Oracle archive mode and hot backups

From: Jeff Morgan <jefang6448_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

We have an Oracle 10g database on UNIX moving to a new data center. We are still testing a stage server. The DBA state that the standard is to have the database in archive mode to allow for hot backups.

We ran into an issue when the 17 gigs of space in the archive folder was full. The DBA's solution was to write a script to automatically delete archive files when the folder reaches 10 gigs. I questioned the need to create archive files if they are ultimately deleted. The DBA stated that the actual archive files are not used and can be deleted. The archive mode is only used for hot backups.

From what I have researched, the archive files are required for recovery. Can anyone shed some light on the whole archive/hot backup? Received on Thu Aug 06 2009 - 16:35:00 CDT

Original text of this message