Re: Huge generation of archivelog: how to tweak that ?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_bogus.email.invalid>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:56:24 +0000 (UTC)

Na Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:29:39 -0700, ca111026 napisao:

> Suggestions:
> - Partition the table so instead of purging data you will be able to
> drop partition
> - Instead of purging once per month purge every day (or even more often)

How did you come up with such a brilliant solution? Partitioning? I'm positively stupefied!

Archive logs contain the records of block changes. The good way of slowing the archive log generation down is to slow down changing blocks. Now, I will reveal you a great secret: if you stop doing DML (insert, update, delete) and DDL (truncate, create,alter), your archive log generation will stop, scout's honor!

Hopefully, you're not a DBA? Instead of suggesting doing a comprehensive analysis which would establish who changes what and why and how frequently, you suggest partitioning? Yeah, maybe, with just a tad of the snake oil.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com