Re: 10gR2 - quick Time Zone question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:43:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 2, 7:34 am, Jeremy <jeremy0..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I tell from within PL/SQL whether SYSDATE is in the daylight
> saving time (DST) date range?
>
> It is not a fixed date each year, is there a function that will tell me
> this?
>
> --
> jeremy

I can't remember the details, but be very careful with 10gR2 patch sets, as well as java version if you are using it (as EM does). Actually, there are implications on all versions including upgrading to 11.1.0.7, as searching the metalink knowledgebase for DST will show. Notes like 568125.1and 553812.1 include when not to worry about it.

SYSDATE itself actually only cares about the OS date. Vladimir's answer is probably the best from the Oracle point of view, but maybe you just need the information from the OS date command?

Note also there is a TZD format command, but it has limitations, like it can't be used in the old-style date handling. See metalink 337698.1 for an example, don't know if it works.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/01/1b1apple22014-fcc-queries-apple-about-rejection-go/?uniontrib