Re: Managing Oracle Users

From: undbund <undbund_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 31, 5:16 pm, undbund <undb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I had created a user with connect role and resorce role. When I
> login to Oracle with this user, I am still able to see other shemas
> and view their tables. Is there a way to prevent this so that when a
> user who is a non dba logins in he/she should not see other shemas and
> their tables and other objects?.
>
> Thanks,
> Undbund

Hi All, thanks for your help in understanding Oracle. I am using Oracle 10g XE and the user that I had created has only Connect role only.

According to Oracle....
However, beginning in Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2), the CONNECT role has only the CREATE SESSION privilege, all other privileges are removed.

This should mean that when the user has only Connect role, he/she should only be able to login in and do nothing else.

When I connect using this user... I can see other shemas like sys, system, etc and view some of their tables and the data in it, which is dangerous. I use Navicat software to work with Oracle.

I did notice that using this user, I can only view some of the tables from sys and system shema (as compared to logging in as system), which is still dangerous, I think.

I am really lost as to how to prevent this from happening.

All your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Undbund Received on Fri Jul 31 2009 - 19:03:07 CDT

Original text of this message