Re: Getting a consistent copy

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:37:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 1:25 pm, K Gopalakrishnan <kaygo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Pat,
>
> NetApp also offers similar snapshotting functionality. I know a
> customer (whose DB is 400TB+ ) uses NetApp snapshots to backup the
> database. Their backup time is less than a minute with snapshots. It
> is online snapshot as  the DB is not in archive log mode.
>
> -Gopal

Gopal and other gurus:

The thing that my users have in mind is replicating an OLTP database remotely, just the storage with the disaster site node shut down, then in a disaster, fire it up and everything works. Instead of just using a standby db.

As I understand things:

In EMC-speak, this requires either synchronous mode or doing a suspend and then snapping.

What I don't know, and would like to find out:

What are the network requirements for synchronous replication.

Is it really a good idea to be suspending the OLTP db every 20 minutes. Client/server and n-tier order entry people can get a ways ahead of the app already.

How this relates to a Nimbus RH100, which claims "Snapshots, cloning, volume migration, synchronous mirroring, and asynchronous replication" among other things.

How would one make a fair test of recovery. I'm not convinced a normal load is a fair test.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/37assets/svn/zen_forgot_password_screen-82722988c75480bae2771ade4cddeedc.png