Re: From Cobol+Db2 To Oracle

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:34:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 7:28 am, Revenge <amast..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> > > What cobol vendor do you plan on using?  The Oracle Pro Cobol is a pre-
> > > compiler not a cobol compiler and not a cobol runtime environment.
>
> > Micro Focus Cobol, probably using Pro*Cobol + Net Express
>
> Is it possible to compile the Pro*Cobol precompiled code with another
> compiler such as IBM Cobol instead of MicroFocus Cobol?

The pre-compiler is NOT a compiler ... it takes source code in and expands it/makes substitutions/does some syntax checking.

It produces souce code going out that is fed into a real compiler.

There are ( as far as I know ) several cobol vendors still selling products ... that's why I asked you which cobol vendor.

You want to pick a cobol vendor that provides a product that runs on the platform that you are going to run your cobol applications on. Received on Tue Jul 28 2009 - 08:34:23 CDT

Original text of this message