Re: limit oracle memory

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_bogus.email.invalid>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:50:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:22:21 +0000, NetComrade wrote:

> We had a server run out of memory the other day.
>
> OS is RH 4.0
>
> Unix admin is telling me OOS stuff should've killed it, but it obviously
> did not.
>
> Is there a way to limit total memory used (not just individual
> processes) or SGA
>
> Anyone has experience setting overcommit_memory params?
> http://www.miljan.org/main/2009/07/10/linux-memory-management/
>
> thanks
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) We
> use RMAN and remote catalog for backups

There is a file to fine-tune the process limits. It's called /etc/security.d/limits.conf
You can tune virtual address space, resident set size, number of processes and some other things. My advice is to know exactly what you're doing before you start doing things. With all due respect, my impression is that this is not how things are.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com