Re: Rman level 0 incremental backup – why restore needs older backups?

From: <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:00:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 6:31 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 1:29 pm, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 26, 10:37 am, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > snip
>
> > > All the documenation I have read is:
>
> > > A level 0 incremental backup is the base backup for subsequent
> > > incremental backups.
>
> > > It copies all blocks containing data, backing the datafile up into a
> > > backup set just as a full backup would. The only difference between a
> > > level 0 incremental backup and a full backup is that a full backup
> > > is not included in an incremental strategy. That is after taking full
> > > backup , you can’t perform incremental backup over.
>
> > How about posting the output and the scripts that were run for the
> > backups in question along with the script and output from the recovery
> > that you say is going back too far in time?
>
> I am doing straightforward rman commands which are shown towards the
> end:
> I ran restore database preview to see what backup sets are needed for
> the restore. And preview output shows the latest incremental level 0
> backup sets plus a few archive logs, so I suspect problem is not with
> RMAn but with  VERITAS Netbackup (now Symantec  Netbackup) . Netbackup
> cannot find the backup set in the latest tape, so it goes to a
> pervious day tape (again unsuccessful), a day pervious to previous day
> step and so on. I am doing a DR exercise and DR exercise only took
> one week’s tapes and my backup set was not found on any tape/  I have
> to follow with Netbackup support, why backups are bot being found on
> the tapes.
> Thanks
>
> *** backup  commands***
> Backup as compressed backup set
> Incremental level 0
> Database;
> Backup
> Archivelog
> Delete input;
>
> *** Restore command ***
>
> Set until time..
> Restore database;
> Recover database;
>
> Preview  command is:
> restore database preview

It sounds to me like you don't have complete database backup for the time you think.

Try either..

list backup;

in RMAN, or ...

select completion_time,df.*
  from (select file#,

               name,bytes,
               unrecoverable_time
          from v$datafile) df,
       (select max(completion_time) completion_time,
               file#
          from v$backup_datafile
          group by file#) b

  where df.file#=b.file#(+);

...in SQL*PLUS. Received on Mon Jul 27 2009 - 07:00:08 CDT

Original text of this message