Re: limit oracle memory

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:08:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 24, 5:22 pm, NetComrade <> wrote:

> We had a server run out of memory the other day.
> OS is RH 4.0
> Unix admin is telling me OOS stuff should've killed it, but it
> obviously did not.
> Is there a way to limit total memory used (not just individual
> processes) or SGA
> Anyone has experience setting overcommit_memory params?
> thanks
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups

Are you using huge pages on linux?

Do you understand the difference between memory that a process allocates and shared memory?

What is OOS?

What process was it that used up al the memory?

It is not hard to write a script that checks how much memory a process has allocated. Received on Fri Jul 24 2009 - 17:08:01 CDT

Original text of this message