UML 2.0 for database modeling versus ER diagrams?

From: dana <dana_at_work_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:31:48 -0700 (PDT)

I've been asked to look into using UML 2.0 for relational database data modeling and cease using ER diagrams. Evidently, UML 2.0 class diagrams with database-object stereotypes are more richly descriptive than ER diagrams.

Is UML "better" for database modeling? In a UML tool I'm investigating (Enterprise Architect), it seems database data modeling is something of an afterthought. But that may be the tool's fault for trying to "do everything for everyone" rather than a fault of UML.

What are both sides of the argument of UML vs. ER diagrams if there's any argument at all. Why is one preferable to the other and for what reasons (e.g. technical merits, stakeholder comprehension merits, etc). Does anyone dual-maintain UML class diagrams and ER diagrams for different purposes?

Opinions? I'm open either way.

Thanks.

Dana Received on Thu Jul 23 2009 - 12:31:48 CDT

Original text of this message