Re: Getting a consistent copy

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 20, 2:22 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> Someone on this group not long ago mentioned they would get corrupted
> blocks doing this.  I would guess it is a block write timing issue,
> since the san doesn't know about Oracle blocks.  You might look into
> the suspend operation.  How many seconds frozen until "no bueno?"

In the EMC world you work with consistency groups where write order dependencies are preserved among all the LUNS in the group ... to deal with the SAN not knowing about Oracle blocks.

Keep your LUNS for the online logs in a different consistency group. Split the mirrors for the online database files before you split your mirrors for the online logs.

Lots and lots of EMC white papers on this subject. Each hardware/ storage vendor that supports it has some minor variations on exact setup methodology. Received on Mon Jul 20 2009 - 19:04:00 CDT

Original text of this message