Re: Licensing question

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:46:36 +0200

Palooka schreef:
> joel garry wrote:
>> On Jul 16, 10:46 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

>>> In the past Oracle stated it was the *capacity* that counted.
>>> So if you have 4 cpu sockets, and you fit only 1, you pay for 4 cpu's.
>>> You really need to get in touch with a salesrep!
>>
>> That's good advice, though I have a cynical view of whether even they
>> can keep up with it.
>>
>> See http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing.pdf
>> though there are other things that make it even more complicated
>> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/contracts/library/processor-core-factor-table.pdf
>>
>> and who knows what else.  Sun hardware has its own special lists, who
>> knows how that will be changing now.
>>
>> There may also be scary docs to sign to terminate one agreement and
>> replace with another, as well as special fees.
>>
>> I was unable to do a similar thing a few years ago, but that may have
>> been specific to that site/hardware/version/salesperson/cost which are
>> all different than OP.
>>

> Interesting, though slightly off topic:
>
> Last year I was at a place (a global retail brand) where they had
> multiple IBM pSeries. Each box was physically fitted with x number of
> processors, but the customer was only allowed to use a subset of them
> until the additional "cores" had been licensed with IBM.
>
> I wasn't party as to how the Oracle licences were negotiated for the
> particular database server LPARs, but doubtless it would have been
> entertaining.
>
> Palooka

LPAR on IBM pSeries uses (in Oracle terms) Hard Partitioning, which allows you to license on a per partition basis. So if you have a 4 core CPU, and partition in 2 partitions with 2 cores each, you can license one partition for Oracle, so pay for only two cores. With the latest micropartitioning, you can even license 1,5 cores or something like that (though Oracle will always round up to the next whole number). Things get complicated beacause of multiplying factors for different types of cores...

Shakespeare Received on Fri Jul 17 2009 - 13:46:36 CDT

Original text of this message