Re: Licensing question

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:13:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 3:57 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:

snip

> Interesting, though slightly off topic:
>
> Last year I was at a place (a global retail brand) where they had
> multiple IBM pSeries. Each box was physically fitted with x number of
> processors, but the customer was only allowed to use a subset of them
> until the additional "cores" had been licensed with IBM.
>
> I wasn't party as to how the Oracle licences were negotiated for the
> particular database server LPARs, but doubtless it would have been
> entertaining.

You have to really read the oracle licensing documentation and understand on a platform by platform basis if the specific hardware supports hard or soft partitioning.

As Joel noted ... it also keeps changing year by year ... platform by platform. Received on Thu Jul 16 2009 - 15:13:42 CDT

Original text of this message