Re: Licensing question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:40:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 10:46 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:51:33 GMT, Chuck <chuckh1958_nos..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I know this is not the best place to ask this question but I have not
> >been able to find a clear answer on metalink and have not received a
> >reply or call back from oracle sales on this thought I've been trying
> >for a couple of days now.
>
> >I have several machines that are overpowered for the database instances
> >running on them. I'd like to shut of or remove CPU's. Can I legally do
> >that to reduce my licensing cost? The platform is Solaris sparc, Oracle
> >10.2.
>
> >TIA
>
> In the past Oracle stated it was the *capacity* that counted.
> So if you have 4 cpu sockets, and you fit only 1, you pay for 4 cpu's.
> You really need to get in touch with a salesrep!

That's good advice, though I have a cynical view of whether even they can keep up with it.

See http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing.pdf though there are other things that make it even more complicated http://www.oracle.com/corporate/contracts/library/processor-core-factor-table.pdf and who knows what else. Sun hardware has its own special lists, who knows how that will be changing now.

There may also be scary docs to sign to terminate one agreement and replace with another, as well as special fees.

I was unable to do a similar thing a few years ago, but that may have been specific to that site/hardware/version/salesperson/cost which are all different than OP.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"dont resecure the dbconsole every after 6 months. " - bug 5860997,