Re: Why do I get out of memory errors when 10GB memory is free?

From: Matthias Hoys <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:32:27 +0200

"Mladen Gogala" <> wrote in message news:h3kvj3$2ma$
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:56:01 -0700, zigzagdna wrote:
>> I am not
>> a UNIX admin, so I still wonder when 10GB memory is avaiable why HP OS
>> first won't utlize this memory instead of going to swap to get heap
>> memory .
> That's elementary my dear zigzagdna. Whenever Unix allocates memory, it
> allocates the space on swap as well. It does that because it needs the
> place to store the newly initialized pages, should they be thrown out
> of memory later. If there is no swap to allocate, memory will not be
> allocated. You should execute the system administrator who has set up
> the system with swap partition smaller than the physical memory.

Is this still the case? I thought that for larger amounts of memory it's no longer needed to have the same amount of swap as the physical memory. I don't know for HP-UX, but we are running Oracle without problems on RHEL with 4GB of RAM and 2GB of swap space (if you consider Linux to be some kind of UNIX ;-)).

Matthias Received on Thu Jul 16 2009 - 13:32:27 CDT

Original text of this message