Re: Licensing question

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:22:58 +0200

"Chuck" <chuckh1958_nospam_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:FfG7m.2712$P5.61_at_nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
>I know this is not the best place to ask this question but I have not
> been able to find a clear answer on metalink and have not received a
> reply or call back from oracle sales on this thought I've been trying
> for a couple of days now.
>
> I have several machines that are overpowered for the database instances
> running on them. I'd like to shut of or remove CPU's. Can I legally do
> that to reduce my licensing cost? The platform is Solaris sparc, Oracle
> 10.2.
>
> TIA
Yes, we did that.
In short, you have to sign a paper saying that you loose the right to ever use the old licenses anymore (even if they were "perpetual"). Oracle will then reduce the yearly maintenance fee proportionally. But: if you want to add processors again after a year or two, you have to pay new licenses again at the full price! So please make sure this is a cost-effective operation!

Matthias Received on Thu Jul 16 2009 - 13:22:58 CDT

Original text of this message