Re: Licensing question

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 9:51 am, Chuck <chuckh1958_nos..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> I know this is not the best place to ask this question but I have not
> been able to find a clear answer on metalink and have not received a
> reply or call back from oracle sales on this thought I've been trying
> for a couple of days now.
>
> I have several machines that are overpowered for the database instances
> running on them. I'd like to shut of or remove CPU's. Can I legally do
> that to reduce my licensing cost? The platform is Solaris sparc, Oracle
> 10.2.

The only answers that you can get that count are from oracle. It should not be impossible to get a hold of a sales rep.

Basically ... the shut off a cpu ( for a while ) may or may not cust the mustard with oracle. Removing it entirely ... certainly that is a valid approach.

You can then probably save on maintenance costs ... but Oracle will want to charge you new purchase prices ( before the bargaining starts with them ) if you need those cpu licenses back at some point.

There are a whole set of people that ( somehow ) make their money negotiating licensing agreements with Oracle. We don't use that approach but some people do apparently. May be mostly applicable to big shops ( whatever that means ). Received on Thu Jul 16 2009 - 09:38:46 CDT

Original text of this message