Re: Why do I get out of memory errors when 10GB memory is free?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 15, 2:53 pm, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 5:26 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > In addition to what Mladen said, note there are several different ways
> > of allocating swap on hp-ux - even using memory.   Since the notion
> > that swap will rarely actually be used is correct (barring extreme
> > configuration blunders), you might consider some filesystem based swap
> > on a lesser used device, if that makes sense for your configuration
> > (for example, if you have an extra unused internal drive).  Modern
> > unix are less picky about swap than in the olden days, but it's still
> > an issue, basic enough that not doing it really is incompetent admin.
>
> There just is not any viable choice an oracle dba running in a unix/
> linux environment has to accept the responsibility and verify all the
> basic stuff.  You just cannot count on a system admin ... there are
> some good ones ... an oracle dba has to pick up this challenge even if
> they do not want to.
>
> > I told you to check swap back in May.http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_th...
>
> So you did ... I did not remember that incident.

Truth be told, I didn't either. I was looking for one of the threads where I gave links to good explanations of how swap works, but when I saw that, I stopped looking.

> Hard to believe that someone was struggling with basic config for more
> than 2 months ... well I guess easy to believe ... but sad.

Enough people have gotten on his case I thought he was perhaps wanting to actually learn something the way he worded this thread, but now it appears he's just learned to word things like that. But I'll continue to be optimistic anyways, until things smack me in the face.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/15/us-loan-fraud-lawsuits-071509/?nation&zIndex=132419