Re: Running Oracle RAC 11g and Data Guard across two data centres

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 05:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 9:41 pm, DG problem <skatef..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Thanks for your input. I guess I should have been clearer. The
> original set up was a high speed link used for RAC between both data
> centres that would be in the same city. However, the extremely high
> cost of the link then caused the people involved to switch it to RAC,
> thus running it in the one data centre. Data Guard would then be used
> on the lower speed, cheaper link to the other data centre.
>
> Do you think that Oracle are approaching a point in which it will be
> possible to have 100.00% uptime such that all the components that are
> needed to run the database can be upgraded without any downtime? Thus,
> the database and OS can always be at the most recent version?

You should probably read and consider the Moans Nogood article on why you probably don't need RAC.

The more that people consider extremely complicated technologies to approach 100% uptime often the more downtime that people actually experience. But do the legwork and find the article and think it over once and then twice.

Does your organization truly have all the skillsets and experienced people to support RAC 24 by 7? Most places do not. Received on Wed Jul 15 2009 - 07:07:27 CDT

Original text of this message