Re: Why do I get out of memory errors when 10GB memory is free?

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:56:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 7, 7:47 pm, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 7, 11:43 am, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > I am still talking to HP engineer  because rman backup which fails off
> > and on is a 64 bit executable not 32 bit executable.
>
> The HP engineer should be able to work with you going thru the hp ux
> oracle customization doc and checking and then double checking
> everything.
>
> Good luck and keep us posted.

First HP engineer reduced kernel parameters for UNIX buffers, so kernel occupies less memory. Hope was that it will make more memory avaiable for application (which it did), but it did not fix the problem. Subsequntly. swap space was increased. Swap space increase fixed the rroblem . I am not a UNIX admin, so I still wonder when 10GB memory is avaiable why HP OS first won't utlize this memory instead of going to swap to get heap memory . We did not change maxdsiz, maxssiz or maxtsiz prameters. I am glad problem is now resolved. I can put more oracle instances on the server and get my company money's worth. Received on Tue Jul 14 2009 - 20:56:01 CDT

Original text of this message