Re: Running Oracle RAC 11g and Data Guard across two data centres

From: DG problem <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:41:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 10, 10:35 am, "Bob Jones" <em..._at_me.not> wrote:
> "DG problem" <> wrote in message

> > Any other tips or criticisms?
> Why would you want a RAC across a distant low bandwidth network? That is
> what I would call "far from optimal".
> There is no such thing as 100% uptime or unbreakable RAC. One data center
> should be the primary and the other one for DR or DW.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input. I guess I should have been clearer. The original set up was a high speed link used for RAC between both data centres that would be in the same city. However, the extremely high cost of the link then caused the people involved to switch it to RAC, thus running it in the one data centre. Data Guard would then be used on the lower speed, cheaper link to the other data centre.

Do you think that Oracle are approaching a point in which it will be possible to have 100.00% uptime such that all the components that are needed to run the database can be upgraded without any downtime? Thus, the database and OS can always be at the most recent version? Received on Tue Jul 14 2009 - 20:41:54 CDT

Original text of this message