Re: Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:21:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 10, 3:48 pm, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

snip

> "Dude", you're right. Yo! So if people don't want support, we have to
> provide it here? Darn, I start to sound like Sijbrand.... ;-)

Well no not exactly.

My point I was trying to make is that for many various different reasons ( some bad ones others due to many others complicating factors ) ... there is still no shortage of sites running some old ( and in some cases ) very old versions of oracle databases.

Some ( or perhaps many ) of these sites may no longer have support contracts but could well have been legitimate installs ( and therefore ... still allowed to run oracle software ) even if the software is getting very very old.

For better or worse there is a whole set of different people in many sites now responsible for the oracle database systems that in many cases do not have much background or experience. That's just the way it is for better or worse. Received on Sat Jul 11 2009 - 18:21:59 CDT

Original text of this message