Re: Trouble with my first bitmap join index

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:54:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 9, 12:58 pm, AIM <Andre_Miku..._at_Hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a bitmap join index.
> I am not getting anywhere.
> I am using Oracle 10.1
> Any recommendations?

> CREATE BITMAP INDEX S
> ON ELB11(ELB12.ELBVALUE)
> FROM ELB11, ELB12
> WHERE ELB12.ELBID = ELB11.ELBID;
>
> ORA-25954: missing primary key or unique constraint on dimension
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AIM
oracle:ABCD_at_WXYZ /home2/oracle$ oerr ora 25954 25954, 00000, "missing primary key or unique constraint on dimension \n"
// *Cause: An attempt to create a join index was made, which failed // because one or more dimensions did not have an appropriate
// constraint matching the join conditions. // *Action: Ensure that the where clause is correct (contains all of the

//           constraint columns) and that an enforced constraint is on
//           each dimension table.

> CREATE BITMAP INDEX ELB123_IXB_11_12
> ON ELB11(ELB12.ELBVALUE)
It kinda looks like you are trying to create the bitmap while not referencing or not in the schema OPS$NFF397 where you created the ELB11 and ELB12?

Does it work when you make primary keys instead of unique?

I don't know much about this stuff, but this was informative:

http://www.dbazine.com/oracle/or-articles/jlewis7
http://www.psoug.org/snippet/INDEXES_Bitmap_Join_Indexes_810.htm
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/2008/10/bitmap-join-indexes-and-cardinality.html

jg