Re: Business Objects performance

From: Helma <helma.vinke_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:04:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 8, 8:16 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Jul 8, 4:17 am, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
>
> > I need to improve the performance of Business Objects reports.
> > Whenever I look when the database is on it knees there is a B.O.
> > report running which causes it.
>
> > For trendanalysis and tuningsimpact, I need to know how long and how
> > often each report runs every month. That information cannot be
> > obtained in B.O. itself. Did anyone solve this problem before?
>
> > tnx,
> > Helma
>
> Have you run a Statspack or AWR report?  Have you traced the offending
> session or sessions with event 10046 at level 8 or level 12?
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Hello David,

It's not a problem to trace a session and tune a report for me. Let me explain my situation some more. At the moment i have one or two dedicated Business Objects sessions for all the B.O. reports that are fired upon the database. The problems i face are the following:

(1) I only see a handful of SQL-statements, not a report name they belong to. I'm not sure if B.O. is capable of giving a name to oracle.

(2) I would like to have an overview of which reports ran, together with the total runtime. With an other applications, i saw that every report inserts its begin and endtime in a table, so you can easily make the mentioned overview. This can be done for trendanalyses and for estimating a tunings effort. ( e.g. i sometimes refuse a performance incident because it's a report that runs just 3 times a month for a total of 4 hours. Too small a fish in my shop.) . For trendanalysis i can see which report starts to misbehave due to e.g. planinstability.

I am not allowed to talk directly to endusers, so i can't ask who is running which report. I might ask via via which reports they deem tunable, but i am afraid that a lot of noise will get on the line with such question. ( for example, in an other case my question about the enduser experience was ansered with " we ( functional management) know what the customer wants" : my questions were not transferred to the endusers )

I am still on a 9.2 database. I have no experience with ASH , so i don't know if installing the S-ASH scripts from the ASHmasters can be part of the answer.

Surely such overview can be made, or should be handy?

Regards,
HV Received on Wed Jul 08 2009 - 17:04:25 CDT

Original text of this message