Re: driving_site hint in Materialized View definition

From: Jonathan Lewis <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:36:26 +0100

That "demonstrations" in that note are a complete load of rubbish - the only sensible point is the conclusion:

a distributed DML statement must execute on the database where the DML target resides. The DRIVING_SITE hint cannot override this.

DRIVING_SITE hint means that entire cursor (not a subquey) is supposed to be mapped remotely. That means INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE or also CREATE TABLE cannot be executed remotely. "

I've emailed support suggesting they withdraw it and rewrite the examples.

Jonathan Lewis

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ