Re: Basic Scripts for Database Administration

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:55:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 29, 8:16 pm, exazonk <exaz..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> > Ok so now you really have me confused.
>
> > You started off this thread by asking if people had a set of scripts
> > ( pretty much ) and now it turns out that you already had the set of
> > stuff that you wanted?
>
> I now only manage a few databases, with the main database being a 1Tb
> in size. I obviously have some scripts, as do nearly all DBAs, that
> help me admin those databases. I'm thinking of writing some new
> scripts which are similar to the examples that I gave above, but I
> thought that I would check first to see if something similar has
> already be done or that some GUI from 10 or 11g would do the job
> adequately. From both of your responses, it seems that there doesn't
> appear to be anything out there currently (although my research has
> not been exhaustive).

Somehow you just do not seem to be understanding what I have written so I will try one last time here.

The 10g and 11g OEM stuff is the direction is heavily pushing and has spent a lot of time and effort developing. 11.2 is right around the corner with it I am sure a bunch more changes in OEM capabilities etc.

Oracle is pushing that direction and many many sites are willing to go along with that. There's a bunch of stuff built in ... canned alerting/monitoring with a bunch of functionality. Fairly easy to customize and turn on/off the stuff you don't want. Easy to have alerting in effect on some days/hours but turned off at other times.

I recommended a couple of times in this thread that you spend some of your time getting familiar with what's available "canned" from oracle before rejecting it.

Get some linux box going with 2/4 gig of memory and a 64 bit install and get your hands on it and check it out.

Only after spending some time with it can one get a good idea of what is available.

I use some of it and do other stuff outside of OEM. My choice ... especially I want to drive my backups and rman stuff from the outside not from the inside.

There are a ton of places on the web that offer pretty much complete sets of oracle monitoring scripts ... some free some you buy. Some stuff much better than other stuff.

Good luck whatever you do but spend some time with OEM even if you don't deploy it ultimately. Received on Tue Jun 30 2009 - 12:55:18 CDT

Original text of this message