Re: Basic Scripts for Database Administration

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:21:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 12:56 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> That's basically my view.  With the limited experience I've had with
> EM, I do think it isn't really ready for prime time (as of 10.2.0.4),
> but it is useful enough.
>
> I think every DBA should go through the script-writing routine in
> production environments at least 3 times.  Then you start to
> appreciate what is really going on, and can differentiate when other
> tools are helpful or not.  Note that I used to be strongly command-
> line biased, but now I see that some of the pictures really are
> helpful visualizations, and some have even more value in quickly
> getting a point across to management.
>
> The problems with EM in my view are:

  • Deleting but not dismissing many valid points that Joel had ...

EM has had a bunch of rework in 11.1 and with 11.2 being just around the corner ( Sept 1st or shortly thereafter ) I am sure that it has had even more fixes.

My experiences with 10.2.x on hpux EM were very mixed. Lots of problems and bugs with stuff that Oracle would admit were problems on hpux but just didn't get fixed.

On linux both the 10.2 and 11 experiences are much improved in EM at least from what I have seen. Received on Fri Jun 26 2009 - 12:21:17 CDT

Original text of this message