Re: UNDO Issue

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:44:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:16:05 -0700, The Magnet wrote:

> Hmm...seems pretty annoying. I mean, to me, autoextend with a max size
> unlimited means it can just grow until the disk is filled. Autoextend
> having a size limit defeats the meaning of max size unlimited, unless I
> am missing something.

Not really. There is the maximum size that an oracle file can reach, usually 32G. An interesting experiment would be to create an undo bigfile tablespace like this:

SQL> create bigfile undo tablespace undotbs;

Tablespace created.

That would allow the file to be limited only by the file system. Being a control freak and wanting to know who and why is consuming the UNDO space, I've never done that. You need version 10g or newer for the bigfile tablespaces.