Re: Why I cannot do select on other's tables even when I have DBA privileges

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:50:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 24, 10:13 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> Comments embedded.
>
> On Jun 23, 9:12 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have dba privileges;
>
> I'm both impressed and appalled that you possess such power and can't
> understand how to use it.
>
> > My database has users user1, user2…
>
> How ... creative ...
>
> > When I enter
> > Select * from user1.table1
> > I get an error table or view does not exit,
>
> Most tables don't exit, so this is not surprising.  I presume you mean
> 'table or view does not exist'.
>
> > I am pretty sure table1
> > is in user1 schema.
>
> If you have DBA privileges why have you not used common sense and
> queried DBA_TABLES for the owner?   It's a fairly simple query to
> write:
>
> select owner
> from dba_tables
> where table_name = 'TABLE1';
>
> You would then KNOW who owns TABLE1.  Apparently it's NOT user1.
>
> > Is only way to see contents of table1 is to logon as user1, or user1
> > has to explicitly grant select to other accounts including sys,
>
> No, and you've posted here enough to know how to read a manual.  The
> DBA role has, among others, the SELECT ANY TABLE privilege, which
> allows anyone granted that role to, gee, select from ANY table.
>

> > Looks like DBA privilege is not similar to UNIX root.
>
> Looks like you need to read the manual.  It also appears you need a
> clue, since you obviously haven't the faintest idea of how to
> determine who owns which objects in a database.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Even though I have been using Oracle for many years, this is another fndamental feature which is missing from Oracle. Some account (god) should have privilege to do select on all tables in database. As we see DBA can do all kinds of things yet cannot do simple things like select on other's tables. Received on Wed Jun 24 2009 - 09:50:27 CDT

Original text of this message