Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux installation problem

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:14:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 17, 5:30 pm, student4life <> wrote:
> Hello,
>  I followed instructions in
> After clicking on "next" in step 5, I got the following error message:
> "Could not allocate requested partitions:
> Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions as primary
> partitions.
> Not enough space left to create partition for /boot."
> My laptop consists of Window XP Home installed on C drive which has
> about 70G free, and a partitioned, empty (no OS installed) D drive
> which has about 20G free, and a backup "RECOVERY" E drive previously
> partitioned by Dell. I was hopping to get a dialog box asking for
> selection of the correct drive to install 'nux in during the
> installation process and at that point I would select drive D, but
> this step never came. Could someone explain what I was missing? TIA.

You really do not have enough space with 20 gig on D to install both an OS and oracle software and get a database up and running adequately.

You just might be able to get it running ... perhaps ... if you really know what you are doing.

It's pretty dangerous doing the dual boot thing unless you are pretty knowledgeable ... a better choice might be getting a separate drive and putting just the other drive in your laptop while you are experimenting. You are less likely to shoot yourself in the foot that way. Received on Wed Jun 17 2009 - 19:14:19 CDT

Original text of this message