Re: Debug ORA-03113 on Oracle XE

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:03:51 +0200

Álvaro G. Vicario escribió:
> I have a web application written in PHP that's failing on one computer
> (and only that computer): a laptop that runs the Oracle 10g Express
> Edition. It fails when it executes a specific SELECT query: I get a
> "ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel" error and the
> connection drops.
> My main concern is that I can't figure out what to do next. It seems
> that ORA-03113 is a very generic error that can happen for lots of reasons.
> The query returns no rows with the current data set but it's pretty
> complex (lots of joins and subqueries). However, I only get the
> ORA-03113 error when I run it through PHP and Apache. When I run it from
> SQL Developer I get no error and the results come almost instantly. The
> PHP backtrace doesn't provide additional info. The PHP and Apache
> versions do not seem to matter. There're neither antivirus nor firewall
> in the laptop. If Oracle XE generates further info I don't know where I
> can find it.

I've been able to kind of isolate the problem. I'm running two queries and both involve a temporary table. This is the flow:

  1. INSERT data in a temporary table
  2. Run a SELECT joining several tables (including the temp table)

It's a transaction temporary table and its data gets discarded because it's no longer needed.

  • Using a session (rather than transaction) temporary table makes no difference.
  • If I ROLLBACK before the query there's no ORA-03113 (but of course the temporary data is gone).
  • If I use a regular table there's no ORA-03113 (though I'll need to redesign the module to separate the data from the different sessions and remove it when no longer need it).

The redesign is always an option but... What server settings do you think that could be causing the ORA-03113 when using temporary tables?

-- - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web:
-- Mi web de humor satinado: