Re: Oracle 11g Secure Lob Licensing Question

From: BicycleRepairman <engel.kevin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:22:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 16, 3:48 am, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I read following link:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/oracle11g/pdf/data...
>
> It shows under LOB (large object) support that it is part of
> Enterprise Edition without any options - Advanced Compresison) but
> then under SecureFiles it says it needs Advanaced Compresison Option).
>
> My quetsion is that does LOB Compression implemented using "Secure
> Files (not sure whay it is called Secure Files because LOB compresison
> has nothing to do with Security) requires Advnaced Compression on top
> of EE. Appercaite yoyur response.
>
> Thanks a lot.

No, it doesn't require advanced compression, but it can take advantage of advanced compression if it is available. SecureFiles is a re-architecting of LOB internal functionality to narrow (Oracle would say eliminate) the performance gap between storage in the filesystem vs. storage in the database. Compression and Encryption are options you can add to SecureFiles (and other parts of the architecture as well) as your needs and finances dictate. Received on Tue Jun 16 2009 - 20:22:30 CDT

Original text of this message