Re: Q: Using less space for XE install?

From: <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:55:25 +0200

On 16 Jun 2009 12:27:27 -0700, (Malcolm Dew-Jones) wrote:

>I am installing XE. It says it needs 1.5 gigs of space. I know from
>running the install some time ago on another computer that almost all that
>space is actually the data files, not the application itself, and I can't
>imagine requring even a tenth of that space for my data so I would like to
>setup much smaller data files.

1.5G is not big. Apart from that Oracle 10g comes with more instrumentation, which means more overhead. Looking at it, currently you buy a transportable USB disk of 200G for under 100 euros.

>I wonder if anyone has suggestions for either of the following.
>-1- Is there any way to tell the XE install to setup smaller data files?
>That would be ideal.

XE doesn't come with dbca as to make the installation process easy. So no, there is no way, nor does it make sense as you need some 500M for SYSTEM and SYSAUX anyway.

>I can probably get 1.5 gigs temporarily if necessary, so I could install
>and then resize the data files after the install, but I don't know how to
>do that.
>-2- Where is documentation to say how to decrease the data file sizes
>after the XE install?

As someone who has been posting here for many years you should by now know how to use the documentation and be capable to find how to *resize* a datafile.

>Thanks, Malcolm Dew-Jones

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA