Re: Debug ORA-03113 on Oracle XE

From: Maxim Demenko <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:06:50 +0200

┴lvaro G. Vicario schrieb:
> I have a web application written in PHP that's failing on one computer
> (and only that computer): a laptop that runs the Oracle 10g Express
> Edition. It fails when it executes a specific SELECT query: I get a
> "ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel" error and the
> connection drops.
> My main concern is that I can't figure out what to do next. It seems
> that ORA-03113 is a very generic error that can happen for lots of reasons.
> The query returns no rows with the current data set but it's pretty
> complex (lots of joins and subqueries). However, I only get the
> ORA-03113 error when I run it through PHP and Apache. When I run it from
> SQL Developer I get no error and the results come almost instantly. The
> PHP backtrace doesn't provide additional info. The PHP and Apache
> versions do not seem to matter. There're neither antivirus nor firewall
> in the laptop. If Oracle XE generates further info I don't know where I
> can find it.
> Can you suggest me some troubleshooting tips?

The first place where i would look up - alert.log, 3113 should be recorded there as well as the preceding error ( which is very often an ORA-00600 or ORA-07445, an additional trace file should be generated as well ), when you figured out, from which error is the origin of 3113, next step should be Metalink.

Best regards

Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?

Aksel Peter J°rgensen