Debug ORA-03113 on Oracle XE

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <alvaro.NOSPAMTHANX_at_demogracia.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:42:53 +0200

I have a web application written in PHP that's failing on one computer (and only that computer): a laptop that runs the Oracle 10g Express Edition. It fails when it executes a specific SELECT query: I get a "ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel" error and the connection drops.

My main concern is that I can't figure out what to do next. It seems that ORA-03113 is a very generic error that can happen for lots of reasons.

The query returns no rows with the current data set but it's pretty complex (lots of joins and subqueries). However, I only get the ORA-03113 error when I run it through PHP and Apache. When I run it from SQL Developer I get no error and the results come almost instantly. The PHP backtrace doesn't provide additional info. The PHP and Apache versions do not seem to matter. There're neither antivirus nor firewall in the laptop. If Oracle XE generates further info I don't know where I can find it.

Can you suggest me some troubleshooting tips?