Re: VCS/VxFS Vs ASM/CRS

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:08:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 10, 5:07 pm, ErikYkema <erik.yk..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2:32 pm, Harschil <harschi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
>
> > We are at
>
> > Oracle 9.2.0.6 ( 02 Node RAC)
> > VCS,VXFs 4.1
> > HP Ux 11.23
>
> > and aiming
>
> > Oracle 10.2.0.4
> > CRS replacing VCS,VxFS
>
> > Could you please provide the details on CRS.
>
> > Questions
> > 1. Do we need ASM also as that will be the replacement for VxVM?
> > 2. Licensing cost etc ( extra if any ) involved?
> > 3. Any doc/white papers links pointing details on CRS/ASM?
>
> > Regards
>
> Hi,
> What is: VCS,VXFs 4.1, CRS?
> Erik

VCS = Veritas Cluster Server
VxFS = Veritas File System
CRS = Oracle Cluster-Ready Services

As for the OP's questions:

  1. No, you can also use raw devices. Under Linux or Windows, you could also use OCFS2. For the sake of ease of administration however, ASM is highly recommended.
  2. Not sure.
  3. Plenty, on www.oracle.com and all over the Internet.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev