Re: Anyone know RMAN?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:36:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 7, 2:56 pm, a..._at_unsu.com wrote:
> On Jun 7, 3:42 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:23:51 -0700 (PDT), a..._at_unsu.com wrote:
> > >We just set up RMAN on a new database.  We are already running RMAN on
> > >a different database and all is good.  After a backup on the new
> > >database we get this:
>
> > >"specification does not match any archive log in the recovery
> > >catalog".   (There are archive logs in the destination area).
>
> > As you quote the message out of context, the question can not be
> > answered. Note, there are a number of reasons why you can this
> > message.
> > When you never backed up any archivelogs you will get this message on
> > the 'backup validate' command.
> > When backup optimization is on, any archivelog will be backed up only
> > once, and subsequent backups can result in this message.
>
> > BTW who is 'we'? Why is everyone using 'we' , when it they mean 'I'.
> > In West-European languages using 'We' instead of 'I' is known as the
> > 'Majestic Plural' : the plural kings are using. You are not a king,
> > are you?

Something wrong with the editorial we? You're we-ing into the wind here, Sybrand. It's not necessarily a nosism just because someone is representing a group.

> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Thanks for the input.  I just wanted to first make sure that it did
> not mean the archive logs did not get into the backup.   But, if I do
> a level 0 cumulative, or full backup, I would think I should not get
> this message, as it would be backing things (archive logs) up for the
> first time.....

If you don't have logs anywhere of what your scripts are doing, you might consider using the trace option when you connect to rman in order to keep a record. If you are using EM to schedule backups, you should be able to drill down into logs to see where it is putting your archives.

I was a bit concerned when I saw the "configured identical," wondering if you are mixing archive logs in the exact same area, I hope that was just me misreading what you wrote.

I think the difference of whether you see the using controlfile message depends on how you connect to rman. If you just say rman, then connect to your db, then say show all, it will show the message. If you start rman up with nocatalog, connect to your db, then say show all, it shows the message when you start rman, not when you show all.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.  News releases for Ticketmaster say they using
paperless ticketing strategy for the Miley Cyrus tour.  When you get