Re: Anyone know RMAN?

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 7, 4:23 pm, a..._at_unsu.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope someone can help us.  Been all over and cannot find the answer.
> We are running 10G R2.
>
> We just set up RMAN on a new database.  We are already running RMAN on
> a different database and all is good.  After a backup on the new
> database we get this:
>
> "specification does not match any archive log in the recovery
> catalog".   (There are archive logs in the destination area).
>
> The old database and the new database are configured identical.  One
> different we noticed is that when we do a 'SHOW ALL' on the old
> database and new database there is one slight difference:
>
> OLD DATABASE
> -----------
> using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
> RMAN configuration parameters are:
> CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
>
> New Database
> ------------
> RMAN configuration parameters are:
> CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
>
> Notice the absence of the target control file line.......we are not
> using recovery catalogs.  And, the archive logs DO get backed up as
> they are in the backup directory.     Here is the script.  Are we
> missing a step?  I thought the default was to go to the control file??
>
> run {
> allocate channel d1 type disk;
> backup validate database archivelog all;
> backup incremental level 0 database
> format '/backup/oracle/weekly/ora_%M%D%Y_OR00_%p%s'
> tag weekly_backup
> plus archivelog format '/backup/oracle/weekly/archive/arc_%M%D%Y_OR00_
> %p%s' delete input;
> crosscheck copy;
> crosscheck backup of database;
> crosscheck backup of controlfile;
> crosscheck archivelog all;
> restore database validate;
> delete noprompt obsolete;
> delete noprompt expired backup;
>
> }

Do your cross checks before doing the backups.

Break the stuff into multiple scripts ... do a set of cross checks before any backups. Do just the backups in a separate script ( along the restore validates ). Do the deletes separately also. Received on Sun Jun 07 2009 - 15:37:02 CDT

Original text of this message