Re: Solaris x86 & Oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:17:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 4, 11:09 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_bogus.email.com> wrote:
> I am following Oracle patches for Solaris x86. Oracle 10g is being
> barely touched while patches for Oracle 11g (32 bit version) are starting
> to show up regularly. There is 11.1.0.7 for Solaris x86, there is even
> CPU APR '09 for it.
> Now, the question: given the low quality of Linux OS and a lack of tools,
> dtrace being the most important one, would it make sense to switch from
> Linux to Solaris x86? I, for one, would mercilessly ditch Linux in favor
> of Solaris, provided that such a move would make sense. What do others think
> of that?
>
> --http://mgogal

A bit of curious googling came up with this older gem: http://www.sparcproductdirectory.com/view62.html - check out the 4 years later link at the bottom. The latter points out how few people who check out solaris x86 really look at it in terms of multiuser servers. "In a sense it isn’t that Solaris on x86 doesn’t scale - it’s that personal experimental use doesn’t scale. It’s easy to understand, in other words, why someone whose use of ZFS is limited to typing in a command on a PC and discovering that “Yeah! I can make a pool” wouldn’t intuitively understand what that gets you in a production SAP environment. " I'd take the next step, and say that's what you are complaining about with linux (and I would agree).

So would it make sense? It depends on how many other people support this way of looking at it.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of