Re: Solaris x86 & Oracle

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 07:16:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 5, 2:09 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_bogus.email.com> wrote:
> I am following Oracle patches for Solaris x86. Oracle 10g is being
> barely touched while patches for Oracle 11g (32 bit version) are starting
> to show up regularly. There is 11.1.0.7 for Solaris x86, there is even
> CPU APR '09 for it.
> Now, the question: given the low quality of Linux OS and a lack of tools,
> dtrace being the most important one, would it make sense to switch from
> Linux to Solaris x86? I, for one, would mercilessly ditch Linux in favor
> of Solaris, provided that such a move would make sense. What do others think
> of that?
>
> --http://mgogala.freehostia.com

I think we will know more after Open World ...

The whole solaris x86 thing oracle has been more off than on in the last decade ... that appears to be changing now with the purchase of Sun.

Time will tell.

We are pretty happy with OEL 5.x and 11.1 using EMC storage on fairly generic IBM intel servers. Performance pretty darn good. Received on Fri Jun 05 2009 - 09:16:48 CDT

Original text of this message