Re: FreeTDS & Oracle11g

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_bogus.email.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:30:35 +0000 (UTC)

Na Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:27:02 -0700, Mark D Powell napisao:

> Options for Connecting to Foreign Data Stores and Non-Oracle Databases
> #233876.1 (quote from this doc)
>
> How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit
> #466225.1

I got my answer. Neither dg4odbc nor the odbc driver itself are in working order. The ODBC driver is missing a symbol and dg4odbc is crapping out like I described above. Funny thing is that, by Googling, I located a thread on OTN in which Dan Morgan blasted some poor guy for using unsuppored OS.

In case somebody is wandering why is the acceptance of Oracle11g so slow, it's because of show stopping bugs all over the place. I have them with ODBC, I had them with the fast-start failover (standby database). New features are fascinating, but the software quality is appalling. I believe that Oracle has reached the threshold, the code is simply too large and too complex to manage, especially with the large part of development being outsourced to Elbonia.

My advice is to stay away from Oracle11g for another year, at least.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com