Re: Oracle configuration related weird behaviour?

From: sybrandb <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:58:23 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 jun, 09:55, wrote:
> I want to replicate some schemas from a Oracle to a
> The export/import process was OK and now I've objects replicated and
> data loaded.
> A function is not working properly, and an example of what's the
> problem can be reproduced with this example:
> declare
>     cursor cPrueba is
>     select 'apruebas' as nom from dual
>     union
>     select trim('This is a very very long text' || ' ' || 'This is
> another very very long text' ) as nom from dual
>     order by nom;
>     begin
>     for elemento in cPrueba
>     loop
>     dbms_output.put_line('this is ' || elemento.nom);
>     end loop;
>     end;
> I've been trying with this query, and when I added the first select,
> it generates a ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error string.
> If I do a substr in the second select to truncate that text to be as
> long as the first one  'apruebas' plus one,  8+1, then it works ok.
> The rule applies if I change the first string, just substr the next
> ones to be the first length + 1.
> It seems the first row determines the length of that 'column'.
> I haven't this problem in the first database, so this is the reason
> why I think the diference may be related to server configuration.
> Is there any configuration parameter determining this behaviour?
> Thank you in advance.

The problem is related to comparing a patched, desupported, release with a non-patched, equally desupported, base release

This is exactly the type of issue being left-over in a base release and being patched in a patch release.
So if it works, in, dump or better still : dump 9.2 and upgrade to 10gR2.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Experts : those who *did* read the documentation. Received on Thu Jun 04 2009 - 03:58:23 CDT

Original text of this message