Re: Refresh Materialized view manually

From: joel garry <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:44:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 3, 8:34 am, ddf <> wrote:
> On Jun 3, 3:53 am, Randolf Geist <> wrote:
> > > We refresh this view every 30 seconds automatically.
> > > Sometimes underlying tables will be updated by users and they want to
> > > generate a report right away with the updated data.
> > > They don't want to wait next 30 seconds, for the latest data. So want
> > > to provide a manually refresh so that latest data will updated in
> > > materialized view.
> > Naga,
> > although I second the doubts that this design is sound, if you really
> > have the need for "real-time" refreshes why not go for the ON COMMIT
> > refresh clause of the materialized view?
> > Regards,
> > Randolf
> > Oracle related stuff blog:
> > SQLTools++ for Oracle (Open source Oracle GUI for Windows):
> Depending upon how long the refresh actually takes, using the ON
> COMMIT refresh option can increase the time required to complete the
> insert/update/delete transactions to the defining tables, which may be
> an unacceptable option especially if this is an OLTP system.  Granted
> a 30-second refresh schedule is (in my mind) ridiculous, but using ON
> COMMIT may slow down transactions to an unacceptable level.
> Of course we know nothing of this system outside of the 30-second
> refresh schedule for a  materialized view for which we have no
> definition.

But we can infer that the system is already fupped, I'd go further and speculate it already takes too long and that is why they want a cocaine-crazed-lab-rat-lever to pound on to "make it go faster."

Give them a "go faster" button to click on, that does an alter database go_faster with error redirection to the bit bucket.

I'd be wondering how long the refreshes and updates take now.

-- is bogus.