Re: starting up a rac node via sqlplus?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:50:12 -0700 (PDT)

On May 30, 2:32 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 08:53:10 -0700 (PDT), johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net
> wrote:
>
> >On May 30, 11:28 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>
> >snip

> >> And often it doesn't work.
>
> >If you have a reproducible test case then by all means post it.
>
> Right now I don't have one, but it happens often. It always boils down
> to srvctl not being able to communicate with clusterware, shouting the
> resource doesn't exist.
> As soon as you startup the instance using sqlplus it works.
>
> >If you have a service contract then you can get a service request
> >logged with oracle.
>
> Oh yes, that is an option. It won't resolve the issue however.
> They'll advise you to upgrade, and the upgrade crashes. OTS has been
> working on that for more than 2 months, and they didn't  come up with
> a solution yet.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

We do not use svrctl but we have used it in the past. It broke with an upgrade and we have never bothered to try to get it working again. Using svrct has casued issues due to the need to set parametes in svrctl before you start the instance. I can remember one of the issues we had was current_date and sysdate would return different information when both should have been returning the same information. We had to manually set the offset from UTC for svrctl. There have been other issues.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sun May 31 2009 - 13:50:12 CDT

Original text of this message