Re: New Disk Setup

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 03:01:00 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 9:16 pm, onedbguru <onedbg..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

snip

> If all 8 drives are dedicated to database files (not software) then,
> and the size of 4 devices is sufficient (lets be conservative and say
> you need 1TB of storage and you have 8 256GB drives, then I would use
> ASM and create 2 disk groups and put both of them in a failure group.
>
> Disk 1-4 on controllerA
> Disk 5-8 on controllerB
> ASM Diskgroup AA = disk 1-4
> ASM Diskgroup BB = disk 5-8
> ASM FAILURE GROUP 1 = AA,BB
>
> This will provide striping, failover and some modest performance.

It does not really matter a lot what experience one has with ASM if you do not pay attention to the questions and information given.

OP noted he has to also provide space for the operating system, oracle software, and backups and archive logs on the disks given. OP also noted no plans to use ASM. OP gave no information about how many controllers etc.

Strike one. Received on Fri May 29 2009 - 05:01:00 CDT

Original text of this message