Time zones calculation - browser apps

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:27:30 +0100

Hi,

this question pertains to 10.2.0.1 +

Say we have a database which runs on a server which is ALWAYS set to GMT. We have users of a web application in two timezones - say today this is GMT+1 and GMT+2. In the winter, these will be GMT and GMT+1.

The application is browser based (so not concept of client time) but we would like it to be able to present times (from database columns of type DATE) with an appropriate offset so that the user sees them presented corectly (for them). The database stores all dates using db server time.

This statement:

select tz_offset('cet') from dual;

  • gives us +2

select tz_offset('wet') from dual;

  • gives us +1

When the clocks go back in the autumn, will these values automatically alter to +1 and +0 ?

Sorry of this is not too clear - I understand what I am asking :)

--
jeremy