Corruption in update statement with dml error logging 10gR2/Solaris

From: Ender Wiggin <ender_wiggin30_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 23:23:02 -0600

update a_table set xyz = ( SELECT distinct
                                     FROM ... )
log errors into err_xyz reject limit unlimited ;

There are rows where it can possibly select upwards of 1000 rows and distinct will return about 5 different rows. When I update only a set of rows, I see that nothing gets updated to oracle error 1427, when I run the update statement for the whole table, I get some of the rows updated and others not updated. In other words, if I update a set of rows, it does not update any data for that set of rows. When I run this statement for the whole table, rows get updated for the set I just tested. Did anyone see this behaviour ? Received on Sun May 24 2009 - 00:23:02 CDT

Original text of this message